THE MAKING OF THE CITY OF NAGA . . .
- First District Congressman Eduardo R. Gullas, former Deputy Speaker and Majority Leader of the House of Representatives authored and filed a proposed bill during the 10th Congress converting the Municipality of Naga in the Province of Cebu into a component city;
- Refiled same proposed bill in the 11th and 13th Congresses. In the 13th Congress, the bill was approved on its third reading as House Bill No. 3704;
- House Bill No. 3704 was transmitted to the Senate and approved therein as Senate Bill No. 6041;
- Senate Bill No. 6041 was transmitted to the Office of the President, Her Excellency Gloria M. Arroyo on June 07, 2007 and was made to lapse into law, known as Republic Act No. 9491, on July 15, 2007;
- To ratify R.A. 9491, a plebiscite was conducted on September 02, 2007 under the supervision of the National & Regional COMELEC Officials. With majority votes garnered (94.5% yeas vs. 5.5% nays), the Charter of the City of Naga, Province of Cebu was ratified and henceforth gained its Corporate existence as a City;
- A Commemorative Special Session was held by the Sangguniang Panlungsod on September 22, 2007 setting the “Charter Day” of the City of Naga, Cebu every September 5, per Resolution No. SP-004-A-2007 and to commemorate the “Founder’s Day” every October 13, in honor of Congressman Eduardo R. Gullas per Resolution No. SP-004-B-2007